The best homemade body scrubs
Body scrubs or salt scrubs at the spa are an expensive treatment, but you can give yourself one at home. The purpose of an at-home body scrub is to exfoliate the outermost layers of dead skin cells, revealing softer, younger cells just below. A home body scrub probably won't be as thorough or pampering as a spa treatment, but it still has benefits and is a lot less expensive.
How to prepare a homemade body scrub
You can buy a good (and hopefully cheap) body scrub, make your own body scrub at home, or use an exfoliating mitt like the kind you can see in different spas, but you can also find in bigger stores.
How to use a body scrub to exfoliate skin
- Soften the skin first by soaking ten to fifteen minutes in a warm tub. Add a relaxing essential oil like lavender, ylang-ylang, or rose-geranium to make it more relaxing. Let the tub drain, and pat yourself dry. Place a towel on the edge of your tub and sit on it. If you're using a body scrub, put a little bit in the palm of your hand and rub it over the skin. I usually start with my lower legs.
- Roll up a moist washcloth and rub your skin, spending at least a minute or two in each area. If you go too quickly, you don't get the full exfoliation. Don't scour too hard or too long, especially if you're using an abrasive salt scrub!
- Stand up when it's time to do your backside. Make sure you are standing firmly.
- The back is the trickiest part. Reach where you can, or ask your partner to help. A body brush with a long handle can get to the spots between your shoulders.
- When you're done, rinse under the shower.
My recommendation would be not to use a body scrub while you're in the shower because it will melt away and you'll probably have a hard time using it.
Tips about homemade body scrubs
- Use a body scrub once a week, try not to do them more than twice a week because they can cause damage to your skin.
- If your skin starts looking irritated, cut back on the frequency of scrubs or try something gentler than salt, like a sugar scrub or exfoliating mitt.
- Never use a body scrub on your face! It's way too harsh.